Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Change, part II

speaking of changes, I cut my hair today.

The story of Jessie's hair is now like this: long, short, really long, short, long, really short! short, medium length, short!!

I found High Horse Salon just walking down the street. I am pretty sure I walked by for two months without ever noticing it, and finally, about a month ago, saw the new little sandwichboard which drew me in. From then on, each time I walked by (it's on my way to the L train) I wanted to peek my head in, but just kept walking. But with last week's dreadfully hot and humid weather, coupled by the urging of the Boy to chop it all off, I decided it was time to cut the hair again. When I first moved around here I went to Woodley and Bunny, but have been tossed around from stylist to stylist there and never really loved any of them. Plus, they gave me good enough haircuts, but for more than it was worth. I decided that I'd finally check my neighbors at High Horse out...With only two chairs and (I presume) two stylists, and charging a cash-only amount of $60 a cut, clean, vintage-feeling, and airy, it was perfect for me. My hair is so easy to cut, what could possibly go wrong, I figured.

I know that this is when stories typically take a turn for the worse, and I am glad to report that they did not. I am excited my foolishness to spring on a new salon, without knowing too much about it, paid off. It makes the thrill of the new cut even better! I loved Kristie, who cut my hair. She gave me exactly what I wanted, without me even knowing it. I could see my face change as my hair was snipped off, and my smile grew wider and wider as my hair grew (metaphorically speaking) shorter and shorter. I felt so silly, beaming in the chair like that, but you know- that's exactly why I grow out my hair only to cut it again.

Because it's really the best feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment